About the Interventional Pulmonology Fellowship Program
Welcome to the Interventional Pulmonology Fellowship Program. VCU Medical Center is home to state’s largest and most comprehensive interventional pulmonology (IP) subspecialty service. The physicians who lead the center are among a very small group in Virginia who are board certified in Interventional Pulmonology, and together, with an outstanding staff and consulting physicians, provide the highest quality of care one can expect in the region.
This growing service uses advanced endoscopic techniques of both the airway and the pleural space for diagnostic and therapeutic applications. Our experienced team, led by Wes Shepherd, M.D., works in close cooperation with other specialists at VCU Medical Center, to assure treatments are coordinated and communication with patients and referring physicians is clear.
- The broadest array of diagnostic and therapeutic options in one setting
- One of the highest procedure volumes of programs in the U.S.
- One of only a few programs in the U.S. with three fellowship trained interventional pulmonologists
- Uniquely tailored care plans for each patient
- Easily arranged outpatient referrals, inpatient admissions and transfers
- New patients seen within one week
- Research protocols for patients to consider
- Experienced physicians:
Wes Shepherd, MD, FCCP: Virginia’s first fellowship trained Interventional Pulmonologist
Samira Shojaee, MD, MPH, FCCP: Interventional Pulmonary Fellowship Director, Fellowship
trained Interventional Pulmonologist
Peter Lee, MD, MHS, FCCP; Fellowship trained Interventional Pulmonologist
Tammy Foster, RN; Interventional Pulmonology Nurse Navigator
This year of training allows our graduates to enter the field prepared to manage a broad spectrum of diseases and their associated interventional pulmonary procedures. Our graduates are qualified to start or join an Interventional Pulmonology Program.