Virginia Commonwealth University Health Systems can only support J-1 visas.
How To Apply
The Hematology-Oncology fellowship training program at VCU is a participant in the NRMP match. All applications will be accepted through ERAS and follow ERAS deadlines.
- Curriculum Vitae
- USMLE score reports
- Medical School Transcripts
- A personal statement
- 4 letters of recommendation, including one from your program director
- A photograph
If applicable, please provide the following:
- ECFMG certificate
- Medical School Diploma (with translation if necessary)
Fellows' Perspectives on the Program
“I was pleasantly surprised with Richmond’s restaurant scene and culture. As a bonus, I can find parking anywhere and anytime!”
Radhika Thorn, MD
Class of 2014
“There are so many outdoor activities available within or close to Richmond.”
Michael Batalo, MD
Class of 2015
We will review applications from July 15 through August 31. Invitations to interview will be issued by September 30.
Interview dates for 2019 are:
- Tuesday, September 10, 2019
- Friday, September 13, 2019
- Tuesday, September 17, 2019
- Friday, September 20, 2019
- Friday, September 27, 2019
- Monday, September 30, 2019
- Tuesday, October 1, 2019
- Friday, October 4, 2019
- Monday, October 7, 2019
Interviews are typically conducted on Mondays and Fridays so that applicants can experience the fellows’ continuity clinic pre-clinic conference. Applicants can expect to arrive shortly before 8 a.m. for a full day.
The interview day consists of the following:
- participation in the fellows’ pre-clinic conference
- introduction to the program, division, and Massey Cancer Center
- interviews with VCUHS and VA-based faculty
- tour of the VCUHS facilities
- lunch with current fellows
- a mini driving tour of the Richmond area while en route to the VA Medical Center
Interview days typically end by 4:30 PM. A sample itinerary is provided to give you a general sense of how we structure the day. See sample intinerary here.