Personalized, Coordinated, and Multidisciplinary Care
Hematology-oncology and palliative care specialists collaborate with clinicians from many different disciplines in the area’s largest and most comprehensive multidisciplinary teams. VCU Massey Cancer Center is the leader in Central Virginia in developing and extending this highly coordinated care. To learn about our multiple locations throughout the region, please visit the Our Locations page.
Cohesive teams of medical and radiation oncologists, surgeons, radiologists, gastroenterologists, pulmonologists, pathologists, genetic counselors, clinical research nurses, physical therapists, nutritionists, and social workers, among others, come together regularly to customize each individual patient’s course of treatment.
VCU Massey Cancer Center does this for more cancers and more patients than any other center in Central Virginia. This level of teamwork and communication is unparalleled and provides the highest-quality, personalized care – all culminating in better outcomes for patients.
- The Advantages of Our Multidisciplinary Approach:
- Multi-specialty consultation in one place, at one time
- Rapid diagnosis and evaluation for early detection and development of a comprehensive treatment plan
- Standard treatment options may include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, hormone or immunotherapies
- Standard therapies may be combined with state-of-the-art treatment approaches such as minimally invasive ultrasonic laser surgery, microscopic or radio surgery, bone marrow or stem cell transplant, as well as other advanced technologies
- Opportunities to enroll in clinical trials of promising new treatments and prevention methods
- Cancer risk evaluation
- Evaluation for possible cancer recurrence and the need for continued therapy
- Survivorship care
- Pain and symptom management and palliative medicine, as needed
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Counseling for patients and families
- Education resources for cancer patients and families
Recognized with the Complex & Rare Cancer Center designation from Blue Cross & Blue Shield, VCU Massey Cancer Center excels at treating not just the most common cancers, such as breast, colorectal, prostate and lung, but also at treating the most complex and rare cancers, such as acute leukemia, primary brain cancer, melanoma, sarcoma, esophageal cancer, gastric cancer, head and neck cancers, liver cancer and pancreatic cancer. This designation is based upon the Massey specialists’ extensive depth of training, variety of specialists who work together to plan and carry out complex treatments and a high volume of rare and complex cancers.